(Last Updated On: January 5, 2018)
Open an Elevated Command Prompt, and run the following command
vssadmin list writers
Is System Writer listed?
If not, proceed as follows…
1. perform a clean boot and check if the issue still exists
2. Click Start,in the Search box, type msconfig and press Enter
3. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services.
4. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items
5. Click OK and choose Restart
After the reboot, please run “vssadmin list writers” to check if the “System Writer” can be displayed.
If the issue still exists, please open a CMD prompt as Run As Administrator and type the following commands to see if it repairs the system writer
Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\* /a
icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant “NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)”
icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant “NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)”
icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant “BUILTIN\Users:(RX)”
Reboot and run the vssadmin list writers command again.
need assistance initiate the chat.